The Women’s Fund for Scotland (WFS) is dedicated to improving the lives of women and girls across Scotland. The Fund raises money from individuals and organisations, which is then invested in the community as grants to local charities working with and for women. Since our launch in 2002, we have awarded more than £650,000 in grants to over 270 projects from Orkney to Dumfries. The funding has helped women facing a whole range of challenges associated with disability, ethnicity, single parenthood, ill health, age and domestic abuse.
The figures speak for themselves:
- In the UK every 3 days a woman is killed by a violent partner or ex-partner
- In 90% of cases in Scotland, children are in the same or the next room during an attack on their mother
- Scotland has one of the highest rates of unwanted pregnancies in Europe
- Women make up 89% of lone parent families in Scotland and 53% of lone parent households are in poverty
- Over half of 15 year old girls in Scotland consider themselves as “too fat”
- In Scotland women in full-time employment still earn on average 75% of the average of their male counterparts
- Make a donation; giving a set amount monthly, quarterly or annually by standing order from your bank account
- Give as you Earn; many employers offer this option so you can give a set amount each month and they may even match your donation
- Other ways to give; give shares, leave a legacy in your will, or give through your company.
Be it £5 a month or a one off gift of £100,000, your generosity will make a lasting difference for Scotland's women and girls.
The Equality Unit of the Scottish Executive has given over £600,000 to their Immediate Impact Fund, benefiting women in their local community and International Women’s Day events. Communities Scotland and many individuals have also contributed:
"Women are at the forefront of building a safer, stronger society in Scotland. The central role they have in communities, families and the workplace benefits us all. This is further strengthened when we ensure their contribution, skills and, experience are used to the fullest. Through its funding, the Women's Fund for Scotland helps to ensure that women's organisations are able to support women across Scotland.”
Communities Minister, Malcolm Chisholm MSP
To download a copy of the WFS Evaluation please go to the bottom of this page.
Community organisations and charities can apply to the Scottish Community Foundation for a grant of up to £5,000 at any time. So far community organisations and charities from as far apart as Shetland and Dumfries & Galloway have benefited for a wide range of purposes: training for work initiatives, befriending, IT courses, improving premises, counseling and self-defence classes.They’ve helped women facing a whole range of difficulties associated with disability, ethnicity, sexual orientation, single parenthood, ill health and domestic abuse. And in many cases grants have opened the door to other funding and development opportunities.
The Women's Fund for Scotland is invested so it will endure for generations to come. Each year, we use the income earned on the investments to make grants, allowing the capital to remain intact and to grow through careful management. The Fund is also invested ethically, so you can be sure every gift you make is making a positive difference.
You can make a contribution here.